Friday, September 14, 2007

Homesick

I can't express enough gratitude and surprise in which you have all supported our goal of raising money for Walk for the Cure. When Sydney was diagnosed four years ago, naturally we were all heartbroken and devastated. I knew Sydney was sad, when we brought her home from the hospital, but I never really realized the extend of her grief until today. Sydney would say, "I want to go home," several times everyday. I would say, "You are home, silly." Home was no longer a place of comfort, she still had to get pricked by needles, and endure several blood checks everyday. I knew somehow that she wanted things to go back the way they were before the hospital, but I never really made the connection.
When Wesley died, I remember Virginia telling me that Greg and Darrin had feelings of homesickness. A huge hole was left in their souls. A hole that couldn't be repaired. Grief.
This morning, as I was getting ready for the day, Ian said, "I want to go home." I made the connection. His world had changed thanks to me. Since I have gone back to work, he has spent time at the babysitters. No more long days hanging with Mom and watching T.V., or playing, or reading. He is mourning the loss of that time. The way things used to be. Homesick.
Unfortunately, things change. Our comfort zones are challenged, or lost, or we find new comfort in other things. But we never really forget, what we yearn for the most, what we found comfort in, Home. And all things associated with home. Which is why I believe when we are homesick, we can still connect to our "Home in Heaven." Our souls are linked directly, and if we are quiet, we can hear our souls whispering, yearning for our Father, who will comfort us in our grief, help us overcome our challenges and disappointments and move forward.
May you all be blessed! I love you all! Millie

1 comment:

virginia said...

Millie, Your blog caused me a lot of reflection. I think that you hit the nail on the head with your comments about homesickness. Sometimes I do get feelings of melancholy. I never thought of it as homesickness for some things as they once were, but I think that what you said is true. We all feel "homesick" for Sydney, I think of her often, and add a few dang, dang, dangs in!! Thank heavens the feelings of our heavenly home does allow us to call for help in her behalf and for all those that we care about. Thanks for your insight, I love you.